Setting aside time every month to re-connect as a couple is important for maintaining a strong marriage or partnership. But with the leading cause of divorce being money troubles, it can seem silly to put yourself into financial disarray just to try and maintain your romance.
Luckily, there are several inexpensive or free date ideas you can do to bring you even closer together. After all, date night isn’t about dining at a fancy new restaurant; it’s about spending quality time with your loved one.
Here are 5 fun free date night ideas that won’t break the bank.
1. A cozy dinner for two at home: Who says you have to go out to have fun?! (Okay, maybe if you have kids you do). Stay in and cook a special recipe together and enjoy it over candlelight. Take the kids to their grandparents’ house for the night, turn off all distractions and enjoy each other’s company. Don’t forget to get a bottle of your favourite (inexpensive!) wine and spend after dinner cozied up on the sofa catching up or watching a film.
2. Watch the sunset together: Few things in nature are more beautiful than the setting sun – if you watch it from the right place. Odds are, your hometown has a great spot that’s quiet and remote where you can take in the sunset. Pack some snacks and take a drive an hour before sunset. Find the perfect vantage point and watch together as the sun lights up the sky in magnificent colours before singing slowly below the horizon.
3. Teach each other something: Maybe you’re great at gardening and your spouse is a fantastic cook. While it’s fun to have individual hobbies, it can also be fun to share them with our loved ones. Plan an evening to teach each other your hobby, and see if you can create the next green thumb or budding chef!
4. Go for a walk: Exercise makes the heart grow fonder! Become a tourist in your own backyard and take a walk through your city, local park or neighbourhood. Discover new places you haven’t yet visited and take in the greatness that your hometown has to offer!
5. Go house hunting: For this date night activity, you can either stay in, or head out for a walk or drive in your neighbourhood. Search online for your dream home or a fixer-upper that you’d love to take on as a project. Even if you aren’t in the market to purchase a home, this can be a fun activity for you and your special someone. You’ll get an idea of what you’d both like in a new house, and what each other’s design tastes are.
A great date night doesn’t have to be expensive. With a little creativity, you can have a special date night while sticking to your budget.