Having a great time with your family doesn’t have to cost a lot, so check out these eight free fall activities that won’t burn a hole in your wallet.
- Take a hike. There’s no denying that a big part of fall’s charm is the changing of the leaves. Get out into the woods for a hike on a beautiful sunny fall day so you can see all the different colours while the leaves are still on the trees. Remember to take along a camera to capture the great memories and beautiful scenery.
- Rake the leaves. Raking doesn’t have to be a chore! Once the leaves are no longer on the trees, raking them up with the kids can be a fun family activity. Jumping in piles of bright, colourful leaves will be a memory your kids will carry for the rest of their lives.
- Get creative. Use the leaves from your hike or backyard to create beautiful artwork. There are lots of great ideas online for easy fall crafts that kids can do.
- Have a picnic. Just because the temperature is a little cooler doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a picnic. Choose a sunny day and bring along a Frisbee or ride your bikes to the park to keep everyone active.
- Start a fire. Fall is perfect weather for a bonfire – the cooler evening air makes it an ideal activity. If you don’t have a fire pit, find somewhere where you’re allowed to have a bonfire and have fun roasting marshmallows and hot dogs.
- Get ready for Halloween. Get the kids into the Halloween spirit by visiting a pumpkin patch to search for that perfect jack o’ lantern. You can also have the kids help design costumes and draw out faces to use once the pumpkins are brought home and cleaned out.
- Go for a drive. With all of the colours that fall has to offer, something as simple as going for a family drive can be a memorable experience. You don’t even need to have a destination in mind, as long as the route has lots of trees.
- Go apple picking. Apple picking may end up costing you a small amount of money if you want to bring apples home to enjoy, but access to the orchard and trees is usually free. Plus, the taste of an apple that has just been plucked from the tree is definitely something everyone should try at least once!